Re: FYI...Integrated Development Environments

Craig Allen Henderson (craigh@mit.edu)
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 13:50:36 EDT

> From: "Benjamin Shults" <shultsb@kenyon.edu>
>
> I've been told by the ICS folks here that the .class
> files made by Visual J++ are not portable to other
> platforms and, worse, won't run on anything but Microsoft's
> Internet Explorer because some of their java(!) classes
> and implemented as calls to Windows DLLs!
>
> I am examining Symantec Cafe' and waiting to receive
> Borland's JBuilder.

If you use the VJ++ GUI builder or any of their Windows Foundation
Classes or other widgets, your .class files will _not_ be portable.

Also, the code that you write is not guaranteed to be portable unless
you explicitly turn off their language extensions.

In Visual J++ 6.0, go to
Projects > Properties > Compile

There should be a checkbox labeled
"Disable Microsoft Language Extensions"

Make sure it is checked for each of your projects.

FYI, Sun has a product called JavaPureCheck which verifies
whether your .class files are sound. It's freely available at:
http://java.sun.com/100percent/download/

--Craig Henderson
Rethinking CS101 Staff