Re: hello & thanks

Teresa Roberts (troberts@lanl.gov)
Wed, 01 Jul 1998 14:54:47 -0600

Piotr,

Well, about the only thing these two streams have in common is that they
are both INPUT streams. But the DataInputStream descends from a superclass
called FilterInputStream, which implies that the contents of the stream
will be interpretted in a certain way. The DataInputStream helps you interpret
the contents of the stream as text bytes. The ObjectInputStream helps you
interpret things in the stream as objects. And since a string is an
object, it can be passed easily in the ObjectInputStream. If you use
a DataInputStream, you will have to do the work to put the bytes together
into a String.

Hope this helps.

Teri

--
Teri Roberts                      email: troberts@lanl.gov
CIC-3                             phone: (505) 665-2177